East Rock Creek Village (ERCV) is a neighborhood-based, volunteer-managed nonprofit organization that supports and enriches the long-term quality of life of residents in DC’s upper Ward 4.
Individuals and households aged 50 and older residing in one of the neighborhoods in the northern part of Ward 4: Brightwood, Colonial Village, Manor Park, North Portal Estates, Shepherd Park, and Takoma are encouraged to join ERCV. Our caring community helps our members thrive by providing access to a network of volunteers who help neighbors with requests and host social events.
We work to ensure that our members have the confidence and practical means to stay in their own homes throughout their lives. With one phone call or e-mail message, Village members gain access to a range of professional and volunteer services as well as a variety of educational and social programs.
What is a Village?
It’s not a physical place, rather it is a brilliant idea about how a community of neighbors can help each other live independently at home. Technically, the village model consists of self-governing, grassroots, community-based organizations with a mission of enabling people to remain in their homes as they age. ERCV is part of that national movement – organized villages in cities and towns to assist seniors with “aging in place.” The Washington area has the fastest growing number of senior villages either in operation or being planned.
ERCV was founded in 2013, received our non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) designation in 2014, and began providing service in January 2016. ERCV is a member of the National Village to Village Network, and actively participates in WAVE, the Washington Area Village Exchange.
- We celebrate the richness and diversity of the communities in our boundaries.
- We believe people who are older should have the opportunity to remain an integral part of these communities throughout their lives, living in the homes they have grown to love, and to maintain the network of friends and neighbors they have developed over the years.
- We value the willingness of the residents of our neighborhoods to volunteer their time and expertise in support of our mission.
- We value the advice and opinions of our members and seek their input on volunteer services, social activities and other ERCV programs.
- We respect the privacy, dignity, and independence of our members and volunteers.
- We appreciate the generosity of our donors; they regularly support the organization with financial and in-kind contributions.
- We value the volunteer experience itself, and believe that volunteers will find their involvement with ERCV rewarding and meaningful.